Monday 7 November 2011

An extention to the previous entry.


September 10, 1410

                Today I was kept verybusy with my studies and duties.  What Ido every morning is wash my face with cold water and stinky mushy soap and getdressed.  Then I help my Lord dress. Iget his shirt and hose and help him put them on.  I do it quick because he's got a temper inthe mornings.  Later in the day we sit ina room with the teacher and listen about Latin and Grammar so that when we aregrown up knights we can write love letters to ladies. That's all nonsensethough!  Then we do some difficultmathematical problems and learn a few rules about being a page and youngman.  Then a little after the afternoonmeal I go with a few scraps and feed them to my dog and badger in the mostsecret fashion.

                September 12, 1410

                It is morning and I amstealing a little bit of time writing this before morning lessons.  This evening I am serving Lord Slaytonhimself! I'll tell you, Journal, tonight how it went. 

                Nine o'clock by thesun dial,

                Lord Slayton is mostpleased with me! This evening I served his roast venison which he had huntedthis afternoon with his nobles and men. I filled his wine cup and he askedabout whom I was and we conversed for a time. Then something most surprising happened. He asked me to sit beside him and we ate together!  He introduced me to his daughter Trillium,his oldest son Philip, and his younger son Brandon.  Then I left to go to bed where I wrotethis. 

                  September 13, 1410                                                                  

                As I was walking downto the great hall to serve dinner again, I tripped and threw the potatoes withpheasant across the stone floor with a clatter. A knight walked casually by and cuffed me on the ear.
"You worthless clumsy page!" he spat at me in utter disgust.  Just as he finished that Lady Trillium cameby and asked me what had happened. I explained ashamed. 
"Let's get some different food," she said, and we walked to thekitchen.  She explained to the cook, andshe didn't dare yell at me while she was there. When I picked up the newplatter I accidentally touched it with my knuckles.  I gasped and gripped them with my other hand,but then I gasped again because it hurt to touch my already bruised knuckles.  She then asked me again what had happened.
I said, "You saw."
"I meant your bruise."
I did not want to tell her but she persisted. I relented and said,
"I had gotten the whip because I had a dog and a badger outside which hadkept your mother and father up all night long." 
"Oh," she said and walked off. I guessed that meant she wasn't goingto side with me anymore.  I sadly made myway to bed and when I opened the door there was my dog badger clean, and wellfed and overjoyed to see me.  They ranacross the floor and leaped into my arms, happy as larks.

                September 15, 1410

                I can hardly believewhat she has done for me.  Now she haseven arranged for me to have time every day to be with my dog and my badger - awhole hour!  You wouldn't think that itwas the same dog, he is so pretty.  LadyTrillium told me it is a collie.  Ihaven't really thought of a name for him. I just call him dog. I will decidewhat I will do about naming him later on.

                September 17, 1410 

                I have been wonderingwhat to do to thank Lady Trillium and I have the perfect idea.  I could train the dog to herd deer!  I know that his breed herds sheep in Scotlandso I could figure out some way to get him to herd deer.  I will try my plan the next time they gohunting.  When they chase some deer hecould make them stay together to make an easier kill.  This idea cannot fail!

                September 18, 1410

                Today I got the dog andtook him to the castle yard to start training him.  The badger tagged along too.  The same knight that cuffed me came by andyelled that I get my filthy animals out of there.  I yelled back at him that I had permissionfrom Lady Trillium.  He took the dog byhis scruff and before I could stop him he had thrown the dog out of the castlegate.  He ran, terrified, away until Icould not see him anymore.  The badgerhighly disagreed with the knight's decision and attacked him viciously.  He kicked her off and screamed and swore atme some more than he stalked off.  I amso sad.  And I am mad.  He will face my full wrath one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment